Thursday, June 06, 2013

Storage and Organization

So everyone is curious about how others store their polishes. I love the ideas of turning CD racks into stands and the wall stands for easy display and access. But I don't have the space in my room for that :( So I started by storing them in increasingly larger shoe boxes but eventually moved them all into a large drawer

I then thought that I should get some nail wheels so I always know what I have. But searching the interweb demonstrated to me that the best was to make swatchicles because they as easier storage (take less room), can hold more information and since they are all separate it is easier to see how colours look with each other. So I went and made swatchicles and found out I had more polish then I thought haha (up to 80 polishes now, with a few put aside for birthday gifts...oops :) )

So swatchicles (if you haven't looked anywhere else) are very easy to make. The hardest part is making the nail stick to the popsicle stick. So I tried hot glue, it worked a bit as long as no pressure was applied to the nails. I then tried wood glue which worked a little better. What I finally did was pop the nail off leave the glob of wood glue on and then use nail glue to adhere the nail to the wood glue. This worked best I found.

So what you need is
-Glue (your choice, wood glue, nail glue and/or hot glue)
-popsicle sticks
-fake nails
-black pen
 So what others say is to only use the largest size of nails, but when I buy a box of 200 nails I don't want to waste then so I use the smallest nails for testers when I make polish colours.

So first is to glue the nail to the stick. If you want when using the smaller nails it works best to cut the stick into a thinner point at the top.

When all is dry paint the nails. Do as many coats as you like. So I read that you should use a top coat to avoid fading. I can't confirm this since I didn't try without top coats.

 So let them dry overnight before moving them to avoid scratches and dents.

 Put as much information on the stick as you want. I put
-Polish Brand
-Colour Name
-Polish Collection
-Colour Number
I have seen others also put on
-Number of coats
and much more information
I found that a Sharpie bled where more like gel pen like doesn't bleed and is smaller so more information fits
 Once all done i stored them in a group in a paper cup but then for my birthday my brother got me a hand cream set in this cute cardboard carry case. So I added some dividers and it holds them perfectly.
I have them divided into 8
-Pinks
-Browns and Reds
-Yellows and Oranges
-Greens
-Blues
-Purples
-Glitters
-Blacks, Whites, Greys

No comments:

Post a Comment